Saturday, October 22, 2016

Fat little badger.


Flannery died tonight.

Whatever it was, it was fast and sudden. She was about sixteen years old and although she'd been slowing down over the last year or so, she had a good run and was herself - her sweet, shy, special self - until the very end.  She's back at my parents' house now, where she'll be buried out in the woods that she spent countless hours watching from her window perch for all those years. She'll finally be close to the squirrels.

I will always be grateful that she went at home, where she was safe & warm and there were no scary things like car rides or barking dogs or veterinarians or strangers to make her want to hide. There's nowhere else she would've rather been.

I'll also always be grateful for the day just over thirteen years ago when she picked me out at the animal shelter in Helena - because really, she did pick me.  You go into this knowing this day will come, and it sucks, it really does, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for everything, my fat little badger. I'm gonna miss you so much.

Flannery.

No comments: