Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's making me happy this week.


I'm slowly winding my way through the new season of Arrested Development, mostly because my ability to binge all at once is hindered by our relatively slow internet connection at the house.  For every 3-4 minutes of show I see, I get 3-4 minutes of lag time while the next chunk loads.  Instead of letting that drive me crazy, I remind myself that I waited for seven years for the show to come back, so waiting a few extra minutes is hardly the end of the world.  Generally, that works, though patience and self-restraint aren't two of my strong suits.

Anyway:  I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and generally, I like it, and some parts I've liked quite a bit.  (Biggest laugh for me so far: the thing with the duck.  You'll know it when you see it.)  I can understand some of the criticisms people have made of it, but on the other hand, I think some people are overestimating the perfection of the first three seasons (I mean, season three in particular went a off the rails in a few places).  And it was perhaps inevitable that this wouldn't live up to all the hype, or to all the months (years!) of speculation and anticipation.  As someone who watched it live during its initial run, and has revisited it on DVD in the years since, I'm not understanding where critics are seeing such a huge drop-off in quality between those years and this season.  It was always a little uneven, as great as it was.

In lieu of posting any clips from the new season, here's an
oldie but a goodie.


No comments: