Sunday, December 16, 2012

No news is good news.


I'm trying to stay away from TV news this weekend.  What happened in Connecticut is unspeakably awful.  It's impossible to try to make rational sense out of something so profoundly irrational.  And yet, the talking heads on TV have hours of programming to fill, so they talk.  And talk.  And talk.  They speculate, and they try to dissect, and I get that they're going to do that, that's part of their job.  Some people might want to know all the details, so they can try to understand.  But the thing is, no amount of details will make any of it make sense. 

So instead, I've been trying to unplug.  Trying to stay off Facebook, trying to stick to light, stupid, frothy crap.  Hanging up Christmas trim, wrapping presents.  I don't want to watch my friends and acquaintances argue about gun control, or to see people bicker about whether or not Obama's crying at the press conference was "real" or if he was "acting," or listen to people lecture about how this all happened because we don't have prayer in schools.   I want everyone to set down their pet causes and just think for a minute before they speak (or type).  I want all the adults in this country to grow the hell up, to stop turning every goddamned thing that happens into an excuse for a Red vs. Blue hissy fit, another opportunity for an Us vs. Them diatribe.  I'm so, so tired of it.  The pontificating has to stop. We are better than this and our kids deserve so much better than this.  We're setting the example they're going to want to live up to someday -- we have to do better than this.

I don't want to wallow in the news because I don't want to feel more hopeless.  I don't want to give hopelessness a foothold into my heart like that.  I want to keep on believing that people are good, and that even when people disagree with each other, they can see past those differences and remember that we're all in this together.  We're all just little specks in this universe, brought together by sheer luck and so many circumstances far beyond our control or understanding -- and we're only here for the blink of an eye.  I don't want to spend my time bickering with everyone.  I have better things to do.  We all do.



Mr. Rogers.

1 comment:

Yankee Librarian said...

This actually made me tear up.