Thursday, July 05, 2012

Wrong number.


Me:  Good morning, how can I help you?

Old Guy:  I need to talk to whoever's in charge of lawn mowing.

Me:  Uh, are you sure you have the right number?  This is a law office.

Old Guy:  Yeah!  I'm sure!  I need to talk to somebody about those kids cutting the grass.

Me:  I'm not sure who you're talking about -- are you trying to reach the city public works office?

Grandkid (in background):  GRANDDAD!  YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG NUMBER!!!!!

Old Guy:  I need to talk to somebody about the grass.  Can you transfer me?

Me:  Well, maybe, if I knew who you were trying to get ahold of?

Grandkid:  OH MY FREAKIN' GOD, GRANDDAD!  HANG UP!

Old Guy:  (to Grandkid) I will hang up, but this lady's gonna transfer me!

Me:  Uh...

Grandkid:  OH MY GOD HANG UP!  THIS IS WHY OLD PEOPLE SHOULDN'T HAVE CELL PHONES!!!!!!

Me:  (laughing)

Old Guy:  (hangs up)


2 comments:

Yankee Librarian said...

Years ago, my dad called my about 11:30 at night. Dad hated voicemail and answering machines and rarely left messages, but he eventually came around.

Well, I had been sick and not sleeping well; I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a missed call from Dad. I was going to wait to call him back the next day. But when I saw the time (11:30 pm and I woke up just after midnight), I decided to call him back just in case something was wrong and he had fallen back into his "I hate voicemail" ways.

I woke him up, and he was a little irritated about it. When I told him he had called me less than 30 minutes earlier, he paused and said, "You're brother told me I shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone." Turns out he had fallen asleep in his recliner and had butt dialed me.

Mary said...

Love it. :-)

A couple of years ago, my parents had to rush over to Duluth when my younger brother had an appendectomy, and they took my cell phone with them (along with a sheet of instructions I'd made for them previously, because seriously, even though I have the simplest Tracfone in the world, they can't handle it). Later that night, one of them (neither ever fessed up) accidentally dialed home without realizing it -- so there I was, standing at home, yelling "HEY THIS THING IS ON, CAN YOU HEAR ME?" in hopes they'd notice and pick it up to hang up. No dice. ;-)

The next day, I got a few confused e-mails from friends who my parents had inadvertently dialed and/or text messaged (I have no idea how they even got that far into the menu!), wondering if I was okay. It was hilarious.