Thursday, May 10, 2012

What's making me happy this week.


Sigh of relief.


There aren't many TV shows that I feel all that invested in these days -- sure, I may wax poetic about the Real Housewives of New Jersey, but that's a guilty pleasure (and Bravo reruns it twenty times a week so it's not hard to catch up if you fall behind -- well, that, and the fact that basically the same thing happens on the show over & over again).  Community and Parks & Recreation, and to a lesser extent 30 Rock (it has its moments but it's slipping), are my Thursday night shows.  I look forward to them all day at work and spend the week afterwards looking forward to the next installments. 

(But The Office...oh my god, so bad this season.  Inconsistent characters, stupid storylines, no rhyme or reason and a lot of desperate, flailing attempts toward the end to make it all make sense. Not that I changed the channel when it came on, but that was mostly just because I was waiting for Parks & Rec afterwards. Like Pavlov's dog and the bell, I've become conditioned to get up and take my laundry out of the washer whenever The Office comes on.) 

For as many knocks as NBC takes about their bad ratings and their bad track record the last few years, I give them a lot of credit for running the only sitcoms I actually give a shit about watching on network TV.  They shoot for the lowest common denominator with a lot of their programming, but the Thursday night shows are smart, distinctive and above all else, very, very funny. 

Community is my favorite show.  There are other shows I love -- Parks & Rec, Louie, Mad Men, Doctor Who, RuPaul's Drag Race -- but Community speaks to my inner misfit like nothing else quite does.  The show gets a lot of attention for being experimental and imaginative, for taking huge risks and going down rabbit holes, but what I love most about it is the characters at its core.  It's got heart.  A big, weird, wacky heart.  A heart like the weird, wacky people I know & love in real life. 

So, again, big sigh of relief that it's getting a fourth season.  Even if it's a short fourth season. Thirteen episodes is a hell of a lot better than no more episodes.



1 comment:

Yankee Librarian said...

To bad it will be a Dan-Harmon-less fourth season.