Tuesday, April 03, 2012

33.


Today, I'm 33.  I like to think of it as my double-golden-birthday.  Or maybe my golden birthday times eleven.  I'm not entirely sure of the protocol for golden birthdays and don't really remember mine (since I was only three), but I figure it's my birthday so I get to make this stuff up as I go.

"Not another lamb cake!"

It's been an anticlimactic day so far.  Nothing special, really.  The thing is, I really love birthdays.  My birthday, other people's birthdays.  Birthdays are awesome.  Even if it's just another ordinary weekday, and I wake up and I have to go to work and do all the normal crap I have to do, there's something about waking up on my birthday that feels different.  The room looks different, the world feels a little wonderful and strange.  And I don't really feel any hang-ups about getting older -- I have hang-ups about a lot of other things, but age has always seemed like just a number to me more than some set-in-stone, "this is how you should feel now" sort of concept. There have been times in my life where I've felt a lot older than my age, and times when I've felt a lot younger...it's all relative.  Besides, I figure making it to another birthday sure beats the alternative.

I really don't like to be the center of attention, though.  I don't want to be surrounded by waiters, clapping like a bunch of monkeys, singing some horrible song that they don't want to be singing and I don't want to be listening to. 

Tonight, I'll go out to dinner with some friends who, thankfully, know me well enough to know to keep the song-and-dance waitstaff away.  I'll open some presents at home, sit down & watch the Daily Show, and plot what Year 33 should look like.  Will it look much different than Year 32?  I hope so -- like I said, it's mine and I get to make this stuff up as I go.

No comments: