Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I want Rhoda's apartment.


Rhoda's apartment.

Seriously. The colors! The crap all over the walls! Personality-wise, maybe I'm a little more Mary, but when it comes to decorating, I'm all Rhoda.

There's a running joke during the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore Show about how Rhoda was supposed to get Mary's apartment, but Phyllis (Cloris Leachman) pulled a fast one and got Mary in there first...Rhoda's always making digs about Mary's lack of decorating skills. And, well, in my opinion, she's got a point.

Just imagine what Rhoda could've done with a space like that. The big windows! The weird little kitchen nook! The sunken floor! Sure, Rhoda would've had to use a lot of secondhand furniture, too, because she didn't make much money either, but she would've given it some pizzazz. Instead of an "M" on her wall, Rhoda's got an "etc," and doesn't that just speak volumes?


2 comments:

Nan said...

Rhoda would have been better served by some insulation between those studs. That place may have been colorful, but it's an unfinished attic in Minneapolis. In the real world, it would have been a meat locker in the winter and stifling in the summer.

Mary said...

Good points, good points. And I guess I couldn't rely on the magic of television to keep me warm in the winter & cool in the summer in there, could I... haha