Wednesday, November 09, 2011

"What did YOU do last Saturday that was so important?"


Upon hearing of Andy Rooney's passing last week, this immediately sprang to mind:



This clip is the stuff of legend at my house. Me & my brother Nick happened to be watching 60 Minutes the evening that it originally aired in 1997 and we just about died laughing. It's probably funny on its own merits, but I think we lost it because the dumping-out-a-can-of-mixed-nuts-and-counting-them totally sounds like something our mixed-nut-hoarding dad would do. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he has.

So R.I.P., Andy Rooney. You were an interesting guy and one of the great cranky old men in American history. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have had the enjoyment of muttering "a lot of NUTS in the supermarket" to myself lo these last thirteen years.


No comments: