Thursday, October 13, 2011

No no no no no no no no no.


I saw clips of this on last week's episode of The Soup and just about died. Here it is, in all its glory.





Note: if you dare to scroll through some of the comments under that clip on YouTube (an activity I recommend avoiding like the plague), you'll come across some wondering if this cat's being abused or tortured (which did cross my mind at first, I admit, given its posture, its ears being flattened back, etc.). On the other hand, having lived with cats most of my life, I find the original poster's explanation (translated from Russian by some other users) pretty plausible: "My cat Marquis, the first time he saw my friend's daughter. He cried so violently all the time while she was visiting us. That was 7 years ago and he never repeated it a single time. Even when she came to us again, the cat just hissed." I've seen the way Toivo reacts to certain relatives -- when my brother Dewey comes to visit, Toivo'll take one look at him, start hissing and run away -- and I can attest that sometimes, cats do strange crap for no discernible reason. Also, the fact that the original poster's got other videos of the cat playing around their house, and that the cat's just standing still and not trying to run away in this clip, convinces me that they weren't hurting it. (Well, maybe it would hurt its feelings if it knew it were plastered all over the internet like this, but we'll never know for sure.)


No comments: