Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading/Watching/Etc.: Girl Power Edition


READING:

Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
Yeah, I'm still trying to finish this. I don't know what it is about it -- I love her writing, but every time I pick this one up, I'm having the damnedest time getting into it. It probably doesn't help that I've got so many other books stacked up on the nightstand right now, either -- flashy, shiny, syrupy books that require very little of me. This one's thicker and I have to actually pay attention. If my stack of books were a meal, those books would be hot, greasy tater tots, and this one would be a pile of cold peas I keep pushing around the plate. (That's not to say it isn't tasty, but I think I just need to wait for a craving to strike and not force it.)

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
I liked it, but I didn't love it. I do wonder how they're going to make it into a TV series, though.

"The Tragedy of Sarah Palin" (The Atlantic)
I can't say that it made me change my mind about her, but it did give me some food for thought. Lots of fodder for "what-if?" scenarios.

"The Neverending Nightmare of Amanda Knox" (Rolling Stone)
Here's another one who I thought I had a pretty solid opinion of...but the details in article this about how the Italian justice system works are alarming. I guess it's comforting to know that America's not the only place with big, circus-y court trials. The Italians have got us beat!


WATCHING:

Easy A
Liked it quite a bit, though I did have a hard time buying the premise that someone who looks like Emma Stone would go unnoticed at her high school. C'mon, the girl's gorgeous! But it was fun -- snappy and cute. Liked all the digs it made at the Demi Moore-starring version of The Scarlet Letter that came out when I was in high school, too - "the one where she takes a bunch of baths." God, that one was ridiculous.

Whip It
If I'd seen this when I was a little younger, it might've convinced me to become a roller derby girl. As it stands, I'm 32, can't skate and have a poor sense of balance, so I think I'll leave it up to people more nimble than me. Anyway, this knocked my socks off. Great casting, and one of those coming-of-age stories that resonates no matter how old you are.

Drop Dead Diva
This show isn't out to set the world on fire, but it's a nice blend of a legal procedural, a soap, and a sitcom. It reminds me of those USA shows that give you just enough to puzzle-out so you don't feel brain-dead, but it goes down smooth and doesn't ask too much of you, either.

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Amy Poehler
I first saw Amy Poehler on Upright Citizens Brigade on Comedy Central back-in-the-day -- even then, she was like a force of nature. I haven't spent much time watching SNL in the last few years (especially since we got the satellite and I have more options on Saturday nights), but most of this was pretty amusing.


ETC.:

- Once again, I broke my solemn oath not to buy any more yarn until I'd used up what I already have...shame spiral!

- But, I have been crocheting more of those little amigurami critters lately, so at least I'm using some of it up.

- Later today, me & my mom are flying out for (almost) a week in Montana. I just passed the 10th anniversary of when I moved to Helena, and haven't been back out for a visit since the spring of '07, so this is LONG overdue and we're both very excited. Now if I can just keep track of my mom in the airport (this'll be her first time on a passenger jet) and keep from skidding off the road in Glacier (Going-to-the-Sun Road is opening TODAY, the latest it's ever opened in its history, and we'll be there tomorrow -- they had a thirty-foot snow pack up at Logan Pass they were still plowing through last week, whew!), we'll be sitting pretty!

- Last but not least: The Jon Hamm Emotions Challenge. You're welcome, ladies. (And gentlemen.)


1 comment:

Jess said...

Just saying: there are a sizable number of women in their late 30s to late 40s who do roller derby down here. You have LOTS of time left.