Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reading/Watching/Etc.


READING:

And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on Their Craft
by Mike Sacks - Not as "laugh-out-loud funny!" as some of the reviewers on Amazon made it out to be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I bought it because I recognized names like Bob Odenkirk and Stephen Merchant on the cover, but found myself particularly enjoying the interviews with some of the older writers who got their start in the golden age of TV - Larry Gelbart's and Irving Brecher's, especially.

Let's Panic About Babies! - I'm childless and single but this cracks me up. Check out this parody of that whole Battle-Hymn-of-the-Tiger-Mother kerfuffle that was all the rage a few weeks ago.

Yogabeans! - Plastic action figures demonstrate yoga poses, with silly results.

Fake Criterions - Pretty much exactly what it sounds like.



WATCHING:

Soap: The Complete First Season - I've caught reruns of this here & there over the years on Comedy Central (and maybe Nick at Nite at one point?), but never more than an episode at a time so I really didn't remember much about it. It started off a little slowly, but got rolling by the end of the first disc and I'll be moving on to season two shortly. I wish I'd watched this when I was in high school -- it would've given me good fodder for one-act play season.

An Idiot Abroad - Instant favorite. I go back and forth between laughing at Karl, and sympathizing with him when he gets overwhelmed by all the "new" stuff. I've definitely hit that wall a few times when I've been traveling...the novelty can wear off and sometimes it gets pretty hard to stay open-minded when all you want is a sandwich and a quiet place to take a nap. Here, Karl talks about dolphins.



Next on my Netflix queue: The Ricky Gervais Show. Which I think I probably should've watched first, but oh well.

A Town Called Panic - As one reviewer put it, "Toy Story on absinthe." Another instant favorite.




Sarah Vowell on The Daily Show - Two of my favorite things, together!



ETC.:

- It's a good thing I got that cross stitching done last week, because on Friday, little Elenore got impatient and insisted on coming out a few weeks early. She & her parents are over in Duluth, waiting for her to gain a little weight before she comes out of the NICU, but it's looking like she'll be released in the next day or two. Not enough time for me to finish the baby blanket I'd started crocheting a while back, but well, she's just going to have to learn to be more patient!


No comments: