Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thirty Days of Music: Day Four.


Day Four -
A song that makes you sad: "A Minor Incident" by Badly Drawn Boy



Long story short: out of the blue, a friend left town in the middle of the night and I fell apart, even though I tried very, very hard to pretend that I was okay because well, that's how I am. It was sudden, and the only thing I can compare it to was feeling like someone had died.

The next day, I went to the grocery store, filled up my usual basket of groceries, and got in line to check out. As my little pile of stuff zipped down the conveyor belt, a guy who lived down the street from me got into line behind me and snarled, "Apparently some people don't feel like they have to abide by the 20 items or less rule." I didn't know what he was talking about - it took me a second to figure out that was directed at me, when I looked up above me and saw the sign. My mind wasn't on grocery shopping and it was an honest mistake...I tried to say I was sorry, but I started crying instead and couldn't get the words out. The cashier asked if I was okay, and I just nodded and tried to breathe and to not make any horrible noises and wished she'd scan faster, oh dear god, just scan the damn Yoplait and get me the hell out of here. I'm not a crier in the first place, let alone a public crier.

By the time I got to my car, I was a mess. An absolute mess.

It was wintertime, and I was walking to work most days, listening to my CD player. I had this album in there one morning shortly after my friend had left, and when this song came on I almost lost it right there on the sidewalk. It was like a torpedo to my heart.

Ever since that day in the grocery store, if I get stuck in line behind someone in an express checkout lane who clearly does not belong in an express checkout lane, I bite my tongue and hope that they aren't having one of the worst days of their life like I was.


No comments: