Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."


Something about this creeps me out a little. (Hint: it's not the part about the giant rabbit.)

From the Today Show:
Things are hopping in Worcester, England. First, one of its residents had herself surgically transformed into curvaceous cartoon character Jessica Rabbit. Then, one of her pet bunnies officially became the world’s most humongous rabbit.

...But he's no house bunny. Edwards travels with Darius, trading on his enormous size and her own Jessica Rabbit proportions. Although the blonde Edwards dressed casually for TODAY, when she makes appearances with Darius, she dons a flowing red wig, pulls on elbow-length purple gloves, climbs up on platform shoes with stiletto heels, and pours herself into a tight, red sequined dress split up to here, with a neckline that plunges down to there.

It's a look that last year cost her $16,000 in plastic surgery bills to achieve, but it's apparently been worth it. Still, as stunning a picture as Edwards presents, Darius is the star, which makes her hopping mad. "Darius is now on tour all over the world. He's bringing out a book for children. You know, I'm quite jealous," Edwards said with mock annoyance. "He's actually taken over me. I'm a professional model, and he's having more fame than me. It's not fair."

She emphasized that Darius is not fat. He's just enormous. "Darius is very healthy. He has lots and lots of exercise and a very good, balanced diet," Edwards said. "He's King Darius. He’s a very famous bunny. He’s a celebrity."

Then, in case anyone failed to notice, she added, "He’s a very big boy."

Oh, dear.
(Note: these pictures aren't from the Today Show appearance.)

Observations:
  1. Do kids today even get the Roger Rabbit reference? That movie came out twenty years ago, and it's not exactly a household name like others in the animated Disney canon.

  2. Wouldn't the whole effect be more cohesive if the rabbit was named Roger?

  3. I'm comfortable with a certain amount of animal-related eccentricities. I mean, I've been known to put costumes on the cats (an activity perhaps more accurately described as "torturing the cats"), and I watch the Puppy Bowl every Super Bowl Sunday and squeal at the kitten halftime show. But getting plastic surgery to look like a cartoon character that likes the same animal you do? I don't think so. I don't plan on getting surgery to look like Elmyra from "Tiny Toons" because I like to chase my cats around the house, thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

CitizenBen said...

I'm officially creeped out.

Nan said...

Ditto on the being creeped out. That's a rather frightening looking "Jessica."