Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Too hot for page 7B.


I've never seen this movie, but whenever I pass it at the rental place, I'm reminded of when it was released and being advertised on the "now playing" page of the Duluth News-Tribune. The DNT ran movie ads alongside the movie listings (our paper in Ashland didn't, probably because it's small & we only have one theater), and all the requisite posters and critics' blurbs were splashed around the page. After catechism on Sunday mornings, it was family tradition to stop at the Piggly Wiggly a block away from the church for the Sunday paper (and for comic books, if we'd been good and/or if my mother wanted to shut us up for a while), and once we got home, me & my brothers would fight over who got to read the funnies first while my parents pored over the rest of the paper at the kitchen table.

A few weeks after White Palace came out, my mom was reading the Sunday paper when she burst out laughing. "Look at this ad!" She pointed at the ad for White Palace - one she'd been tsk-tsking over a few weeks before - and yes indeed, it seemed there was something there that wasn't there before:

Modesty.

Even funnier: after she noticed that, she went into our pile of unrecycled papers and found some Sunday papers from a few weeks back...and it turned out that Susan Sarandon's chastity sweater hadn't appeared overnight. Whoever was editing the layout of that page at the DNT had added it incrementally - first, it was colored-in just high enough to cover her boobs, then the next week it came up to her necklace, until finally it became something akin to a turtleneck.


1 comment:

CitizenBen said...

If they really wanted to save you, then they would have blacked out James Spader's face.
He scares me...