Friday, February 19, 2010

The nose knows.


I crossed paths with my middle school principal & her husband the other day, and when my name came up in conversation, it caught his attention right away. Turns out her husband used to work with my dad a number of years ago, and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "Huh, you don't look anything like your father."

A picture Emily's mom mailed me from 7.4.2008.

Now, I've been told this a few other times, and frankly, when someone says that to me, I must conclude that their powers of observation are on par with those of Mr. Magoo. It's not that I think I bear no resemblance to my mom, because I think there's a little something in there, and it's not that I don't want to look like my mom (my mom's cute!)...but I mean, c'mon:

Lounging.

Me at the beach.

It's like someone cut & pasted his nose on my face. And the shape of my face in general just looks more like his.

Dewey's First Communion, 1984.

I mentioned this to my mom, and she seemed a little...well, I wouldn't call it offended, but a little put-out by it. That is, until I mentioned the times people have told her she looks like her mom:

Jane & Rosie.

"No, I don't! I don't look anything like her! I look like her sister, but I don't look like her!"



No comments: